Building Inspections & Permits
Building permits are required for any type of construction in Baldwin Township. This includes new dwellings, additions, porches, decks, sheds, outbuildings, garages, swimming pools, fences, signs, etc. If you are contemplating any new project and are not sure of the requirements or if it requires a building permit, please contact the Township Office or the Building Inspector.
BUILDING INSPECTOR Hours
Thursdays 1:00 pm-4:00 pm OR by appointment.
Please contact the Township Building to schedule a meeting: 412-341-9597.
You Do NOT Need a Building Permit to...
- Reshingle or patch a roof
- Replace siding with new siding
- Repave driveway (no change in size)
- Replace windows (no change In size)
- Replace entry door (no change in size)
- Landscape your yard (no more than 25 cubic yards of dirt)
- Make minor interior repairs (i.e., kitchen or family room)
- Replace a furnace or water heater
- Install a dish antenna under 12 inches
- Plant trees (not permitted on a sewer right of way)
You Must Have a Building Permit To...
- Add a room, dormer, second floor or a garage
- Build a new porch or deck or replace an existing porch or deck
- Change the size of a concrete or asphalt driveway or parking pad
- Add a new parking pad or driveway
- Add or replace a fence
- Build an in-ground swimming pool
- Build an above-ground swimming pool, 1 ft. or deeper
- Build or replace a shed or lawn building, maximum 100 sq. ft.
- Make any structural alterations to your home
- Excavate or add till to your property
Plumbing & Electrical
Major plumbing requires a permit from the Allegheny County Plumbing Department.
Electrical work requires an inspection from an independent electrical inspection agency.
STORM WATER MANAGEMENT
Any projects creating an additional 150 square feet of an impervious surface requires a Storm Water Management Plan. Please see Municipal Code Chapter 17: Stormwater Management.